Friday, July 25, 2014

An Unexpected Gift

I found an envelope from Compassion in my mailbox today. It didn't look like the usual ones, which say "A Message from your Sponsored Child" on the front. If anything, I was bracing myself for bad news. Another typhoon hit the Philippines recently, near where Rosalie lives, and I was afraid this letter was going to tell me that something bad had happened to her and her family. To my surprise, inside was good news from the Philippines! I received a second, and likely final, letter from Kurt.


This is Kurt. He is 9 years old and lives in the Philippines. He became my Compassion correspondent child in late February this year, and while I was in England I received the sad news that his financial sponsor had dropped him. That is a risk you take being a correspondent (writing to Compassion-sponsored children whose financial sponsors are unable to write)...you might just start to build a friendship with the child and then receive the news that you can't write to them anymore. I am not in the position to take on another financial sponsorship at the moment, so I had to let him go. I wrote him a long final letter explaining what a correspondent is, and I hope he understands that I didn't want to abandon him.

Back in February when Kurt joined my Compassion family, I found out that his home had been damaged by Typhoon Haiyan. I felt a sense of urgency to give some money to him and his family to help repair the damage. I didn't want to wait--this family needed help now! So I gave some extra money to him and his family, hoping it would be able to help them recover from the typhoon. Once I found out that his financial sponsor had dropped him, I figured I would never find out how they used the money. But then I received this letter:


The theme of Kurt's letter is "How I Have Fun". This is what he said:
During my free time, I like to play Catch Me if You Can. (I wonder if this is like tag?) When I am inside the house, I like to draw. When I am outside the house, I like to play with friends. My favourite sport is basketball. When I am bored, I like to sleep. (haha me too Kurt, me too!) Thanks for your gift to my family. Thanks for your support. We're so happy. We are six in all, my sisters Kimberly, Katherine, Gwen Rose, my father named Dante and my mom name Erma. We have a pet cat. Love, Kurt Russel C.

And attached to the letter was this picture!


Kurt with his mom and his sister Gwen Rose, and all the things they were able to buy with the family gift! A little money can go a long way to make a difference for families like Kurt's. And look at that smile! :)

1 comment:

  1. That's sad that you have to say goodbye, but what an amazing last letter!!! Photos are such a treat. And now neat to learn how the money helped him and his family!!

    ReplyDelete